One of the UK’s biggest new residential developments has been given the go ahead in Scunthorpe. Three thousand new homes are to be built on land to the west of the town along with a new village centre, leisure facilities and Business Park. They were approved by North Lincolnshire Council (October 2014) and expected to create around 4,000 new jobs.
The Greater Lincolnshire Local Enterprise Partnership has secured a further £14.8 million for major developments in the latest round of Growth Deals announced by the Government (29th January 2015). The funding will create more than 350 jobs and the cash will help to deliver major schemes in Scunthorpe and the surrounding area.
Funding includes: £4 million for a project to create 70 jobs at an enterprise development centre in Scunthorpe town centre for small and start-up businesses. The additional funding is more good news for the area’s economy and brings the total allocated to Greater Lincolnshire under Growth Deals so far to £126.1 million.
The new money will go towards five key projects:
- The South Humber Industrial Infrastructure Programme (SHIIP) phase 1 in North East Lincolnshire
- The first phase of regeneration of Scunthorpe town centre
- The first phase of the Lincolnshire Lakes development in Scunthorpe
- Agri-Food Centre of Excellence at the University of Lincoln in Holbeach
- Peppermint Interchange (highway improvement) in Holbeach
For more information regarding employment, skill forecast and investment please download our regional report.