Job seekers might assume that London is the best place to find a new role, but according to a ‘Best Cities for Jobs’ list published by Glassdoor… it’s actually Slough!
“Since the outset of Brexit negotiations, the Prime Minister has been clear that safeguarding the rights of people who have built their lives in the UK and EU was her first priority”.
Slough, which became a household name thanks to Ricky Gervais and The Office, was ranked number one, due to it offering; a good quality of life, median salaries of £35,000 p/a and almost 26,400 available jobs.
The commuter town, which has easy access to London, Heathrow Airport, the M4, M40 and M25, is known to have one of the most successful economies in the UK, with high average salary brackets and unemployment rates at just 1.4%. Slough is also home to one of the largest trading estates in Europe, containing over 400 companies!
The leaderboard was determined by three weighting factors: how easy it is to get a job, how affordable it is to live there and how satisfied employees are, and whilst London is often hailed as the UK’s business centre, it didn’t even make the shortlist this year.
Instead these cities and towns stormed ahead
Manchester came second thanks to its median base salary of £23,998 and low house prices. With a workforce of 1.4 million, Manchester has the second fastest growing economy in the UK and a thriving creative and digital scene… not to mention it’s rich sporting history and famous music scene.
In third place is Cambridge, which although it has slightly less jobs available, the average base salary sits at £31,225. Due to its proximity to the renowned University, the city has become a science, technology and engineering hotspot attracting young graduates and entrepreneurs.
Swindon is one of the fastest growing towns in Europe, with fantastic road and rail links it’s an ideal spot for commuting and gives businesses access to a wider labour force from surrounding areas.
Situated between Manchester and Birmingham, this city, is now a logistics hotspot and although the average salary is low job satisfaction is to be envied… people just love working in Stoke
Here’s the full list;
1. Slough; Available jobs: 26,387. Job satisfaction: 3.3/5 Average base salary: £35,000
Top jobs: Mobile developer, sales manager, recruitment consultant
2. Manchester; Available jobs: 41,555. Job satisfaction: 3.5/5. Average base salary: £23,998
Top jobs: Data scientist, digital marketing executive, retail store manager
3. Cambridge; Available jobs: 21,645. Job satisfaction: 3.5/5. Average base salary: £31,225
Top jobs: Software engineer, graphic designer, registered nurse
4. Swindon; Available jobs: 15,307. Job satisfaction: 3.4/5. Average base salary: £31,000
Top jobs: Maintenance engineer, account manager, facilities manager
5. Stoke-on-Trent; Available jobs: 16,381. Job satisfaction: 3.3/5. Average base salary: £21,000
Top jobs: Business development manager, production operator, sales consultant
6. Reading; Available jobs: 25,305. Job satisfaction: 3.4/5. Average base salary: £35,000
Top jobs: Social media manager, electrician, sales executive
7. Leeds; Available jobs: 41,097. Job Satisfaction: 3.3/5. Average base salary: £24,000
Top jobs: Project manager, business analyst, building surveyor
8. Milton Keynes; Available jobs: 16,164. Job satisfaction: 3.5/5. Average base salary: £28,000
Top jobs: Solutions architect, communications manager, HR manager
9. Bolton; Available jobs: 11,233. Job satisfaction: 3.3/5. Average base salary: £21,000
Top jobs: Net developer, account assistant, IT business analyst
10. Oxford; Available jobs: 18,649. Job satisfaction: 3.4/5. Average base salary: £30,000
Top jobs: Software engineer, chef, banker